Mission, Vision & Values
Judaism Your Way’s vision is a Jewish community as an open tent — inclusive of, responsive to and engaged by all Jews and their loved ones.
JYW’s mission is to offer innovative opportunities to connect Jewishly for all Jews and their loved ones, including:
- those not affiliated with existing institutions
- those otherwise disengaged from active Jewish life
- interfaith couples and families
- LGBT individuals, couples, and families
- “Jewish‐plus” individuals and families, that is, those whose spirituality and identity include more than Judaism
- individuals and families of all financial means
Specifically, JYW will
- provide life cycle events including counseling, preparation and officiation
- offer holiday programs and events in creative and innovative forms and settings
- offer alternative approaches to adult and children’s Jewish education
- function as a laboratory of new ideas and programs for the Jewish community
- articulate this vision and its applications in all available media
- create and grow a self‐sustaining organization dedicated to this vision
- communicate and collaborate with other organizations
- refer Jews and their loved ones to organizations, synagogues and activities throughout the local Jewish community
Judaism Your Way is committed to:
- providing lifecycle services to populations of Jews that have been denied those services by synagogues and other institutions in the organized Jewish community
- expanding the understanding of Judaism and Jewish peoplehood to recognize and include populations of heretofore marginalized Jews and their families
- expanding the range of themes and values that people associate with Jewish practice
- redefining Jewish courage as the willingness to say yes
- expanding room for non‐Jews within Judaism
- offering Jewish connection and community based on a vision of openness, inclusion and discovery.
- Responsiveness: JYW respects the integrity of each individual’s path. Our task is to provide people with Jewish resources consistent with their path and self-understanding, not any one denomination’s or even our own organization’s definition of what a Jew is or should be. JYW helps individuals and families to find their own voice within Judaism, regardless of their background and relationship to Judaism.
- Openness: At root, Judaism is an exemplary way to be a human being. This means that anyone, regardless of background, can potentially connect Jewishly.
- Creativity: JYW constantly seeks to identify and provide programs for populations of Jews and their loved ones who are not being served by the organized Jewish community.
- Community: JYW values the organized Jewish community for the opportunities it offers for connection and community. We seek to be a partner in its desire to grow in responsiveness to the community’s increasingly diverse population. As a laboratory at the growing edge of Jewish peoplehood, we offer a supplement, an influence and a source of courage and creativity.
- Dignity: Lack of financial resources should not create a barrier to full participation in the Jewish community.